Image of the Day

Image of the Day

Monday, December 25, 2006

CardCaptor Sakura Remastered II Episode 1 (10)

Tuesday December 26th
CardCaptor Sakura Remastered II 1 (10)
Tomoyo Daidouji
Misho NamoCatCat (through her corporation, NamoCatCat Corp) is hosting a Summer Field Day at the elementary, and I never seen Sakura so excited about a field day before like she was for this one.

In the past she was the star of Field Day events, but today she’s a happy parent up in the stands cheering her precious girl to victory. “GO MIRRA-CHAN!! GO!! YEAH!! YOUR WINNING!! YEAH!!”

Sakura can be so spirited when it comes to these things, especially when it involves Mirra-chan. Hard to believe that a year ago she was just a magical card, but now she was flesh and blood, and she was (by her own choice) our daughter (mine & Sakura’s).

I feel great leaps of pride watching her, filming her triumphs for posterity like I film Sakura’s victories. Sakura & Mirra-chan. The two precious loves of my life.
It was nice of Miss NamoCatCat to host this event. Especially since she went out of her way to make everyone feel like a winner, with gift certificates and free dinners for families who participated regardless of whether they won or loss. This was, after all, just a day to unwind and be kids (or kids at heart) and enjoy ourselves.

With food booths set up around the track, a karaoke stage, and a family race later there less emphasis on competition, and more on fun. I hope there’s more events like this in the future. Suddenly I feel Sakura tense up and I know why. Mirra-chan was talking to her brother by the track after her win. Sakura keeps putting off talking to Mirra-chan about her brother, and with all the card capturing I understand that, but she keeps getting angry every time she sees her brother near Mirra-chan. Overtly defensive maybe? I better get down to the field before Sakura does something she’ll likely regret later.

* * * * * *

As Tomoyo reaches the field she watches Sakura belt Toya in the back once, snarling. “I’m NOT Snoozer!!”

“Oh, no.” Tomoyo sighs. “They’re at it again. Maybe Yuki can break them up.”

“Wow! Did you bring lunch? That’s huge!!” (Mirra-chan was happy despite Sakura’s outburst, which only made Toya forget Sakura’s anger) “Yuki thought of it. It has a lot of your favorites.”

“COOL!!”

“Sonomi will be here with the others in abit. She’s running late from a meeting.”

* * * * * *

That last voice was Nina’s.
Mother’s at a meeting for a new toy line for her company, but she promised to be here when she could. She loves Mirra-chan dearly, and she has taken the former card into her heart as her granddaughter as easily as Sakura & I accepted her into our hearts as our daughter. And even though she’s always very busy she makes time to be with her granddaughter, and that’s important in Mirra-chan’s life as she adjusts to being human and growing in our world as one of us.

* * * * * *

“What’s a family race? Is it a relay to determine family unity?” Eliza asks, to which Nina replies. “Not at all. Family Race is a tongue in cheek catchphrase for a macho parent race. Whose the toughest mom & dad on the block, that sort of silly stuff.”
Nina takes a sip from her soda as she looks about, “Lots of potential winners here but Sakura is going to blow them all away. That is of course unless Sonomi enters and gives Sakura a run for her credits.”

“Me?? But I’m--- I mean can I? Nina!” Sakura blushes at the thought, “I guess I am a parent now so I could race in the Parent Race--- can’t I?”

“YOU BET!” Mirra-chan cheers, clapping Sakura on the back. “Cheerleaders? Please report to the entrance gate for the exhibition show. I repeat, all cheerleaders report to the entrance gate---”

“Now there’s a memory!” Tomoyo sighs as she listens to the announcement, “That’s Hikaru, right? She’s doing the PA system job. I remember doing that when Sakura was cheerleader. Sigh. Memories.” Toya taps Mirra on the shoulder to bring her to the here and now, “Your up, Mirra. Good luck.”

“Thank you, Toya-chan!” Sakura face faults as she hears the words “Toya-chan”.
Tomoyo - “I’ll get it on film.”

Yuki - “And I’ll take lots of pictures.” And with that Mirra-chan dashes off. But as she leaves earshot Sakura grouses under her breath, “Isn’t she going to ask for pictures of “Toya-chan”? Hmph.”

“Jealous, Sakura? That‘s so like you to be jealous.” Toya remarked, to which Sakura shrieked “I’m NOT jealous of YOU! It‘s unnatural, damn you!!”

Toya smiled, “Coulda’ fooled me. Come on, let’s go get a good spot Yuki.”

“Arrgghh!!” Sakura clenches her teeth, her face turning red as Toya led Yuki away. Quickly Tomoyo moves between Sakura and her view of Toya and catches her attention, “Sakura, did you talk to Mirra-chan yet about Toya?”
Suddenly (all at once) Sakura goes pale. “I--- I--- I forgot.”

Tomoyo sighed yet kept a strong face on, “Please try to talk to her. It’s important.”

Sakura - “I know--- I know but--- I---” (Tomoyo leans forward and kisses Sakura softly on her cheek) “I’m counting on you. Please talk to her.”

Sakura - “I’ll try--- I’m sorry.”

Tomoyo - “That’s OK. I know it’s hard being a new parent and all. I’m struggling too.”

Sakura - “Can you talk to her then? I don‘t know what to say!”

“Sakura---” (Tomoyo takes Sakura’s hand in her own) “---she looks up to you. As both her parent and her role model it’s your job to talk to her. And she’ll understand since it’s coming from you, especially when the topic is Toya. OK?”
Sakura nods, head lowered. “OK--- I’ll talk to her.”

“GREAT!” (grabs camera) “Let’s go! I must capture our daughter’s glory on video! Make a DVD out of it also, I have some heroic soundtracks I want to use and we mustn‘t miss a moment! Come on, I’m loaded and ready to go!”
Sakura faints.

* * * * * *

“Mirra-chan is quite good. I like her showmanship.” Nina remarks, watching the performance. Toya - “Sakura never was that good when she was Mirra’s age.”

Sakura - “That’s not fair!”

Toya - “Is so. You used to catch the baton a lot with your head--- just how good is THAT?”

“Our daughter is doing it flawlessly,” Tomoyo sighs, “but then again she had a good teacher.”

“---Tomo-chan---”

Toya, however, didn‘t know when to quit. “That’ll be the day when Sakura teaches Mirra something, more likely the other way around.” Sakura grits her teeth and huffs her breath. ‘This is Mirra-chan’s moment, don’t lose your cool Sakura, don’t lose your cool---’
Sakura’s thoughts rage as she calms down and tries to relax, ’I’ll use Umi’s ring on him later just to make myself feel better.’

* * * * * *

And, like the cheerleading practice, once again Toya was present for another thing (this time the picnic meal) “Well he did volunteer to make lunch today after all.” Tomoyo reasoned, mostly to simmer Sakura’s rage as she huffed about having to sit with Toya.
“I knew we should have made lunch.” she growled in defeat, ultimately using Tomoyo, Mirra & Hikaru as barriers to sit between herself & Toya (with Nina, Eliza & Yuki flanking her other side to keep Toya as far from her as possible). But when it came to the meal, there was one thing Sakura couldn‘t avoid having to admit even if she wanted to, “I hate to admit it but Toya’s cooking is pretty good.”

“Didn’t Yuki make anything?” Tomoyo asked. “Part of it is his work but I had to stop him after awhile. He kept sampling the food and--- well, he would have ate it all if he kept that up so I made the rest.”

Sakura - “Which part?”

Toya - “Just eat, Sakura. And your welcome.”
Sakura mutters a thank you as she continues to eat. ‘He always has to make Yuki sound like a pig!’ (though she has seen him eat and he does eat in, as Dan Ackroyd would put it from that old SNL skit, “mass quantities”.) “OH NO!! I MISSED IT!!” Sakura jumps in her spot, mostly because Sonomi just ran up behind her in a panic and shocked her. Sonomi was sweating slightly, the bodyguards nowhere to be found, with Umi, Gaia & Windy in tow. “I missed Mirra-chan’s events!”

Tomoyo - “Don’t worry! I got them all here on video!”

Yuki - “And I took pictures.”

Eliza - “And I holovid’d the whole thing for the holochamber beneath the house. Gives you a second chance at being there, so to speak.”

“Really? Thanks.” Sonomi sits down, rather casually, and grabs a plate. Tomoyo leans over and whispers into Sakura‘s ear, “Mother’s been really relaxed lately since Windy came to life. It’s like she breathed new life into her and made her happy again. I can’t ever remember seeing her this relaxed in public before.”

Sakura smiles at the remark, “Windy must be a good influence on her.”

Windy - “But I’m Nade--”

“HERE!!” (Sonomi shoves something into Windy’s mouth) “Taste that! Isn’t that good?” Windy nods her head and starts munching, forgetting completely what she was saying a second ago, with further encouragements to forget seconds away as Sonomi hastily makes a plate for her. “Is Windy alright? I thought she was going to say something.”

Sonomi quickly shakes her head in aggitation, “She’s just hungry. Makes her speak jibberish. Here!” (shoves plate into Windy’s hands) “Eat.”

“Is it just me,” Eliza notes, “or is Windy acting odd lately?”

Nina - “I never got to know Windy very well so I don’t know.” (looks at Sonomi) “But that’s a funny name for an exchange student from--- uh--- the Grimmlands. Yeah.” (remembering that they were still keeping Sonomi out of the Cardcaptoring loop). “Where’s--- uhh--- Dawn & Eve?” (nicknames for Light & Dark when talking about them in front of Sonomi) “They‘re visiting a hot spring with Fuu. Today‘s her day off.” (Sonomi smiles) “I think the two of them have a crush on her.” (she goes back to eating) “Well that was awkward--- and speaking of awkward here comes Keiko.”

“I’m NOT awkward, thanks for the insult Nina.” Keiko sits down and puts her box lunch aside as she regards everyone. “Great race, Mirra! I caught that earlier. Blew everyone away!”

“Sakura-papa helped me practice and…” (blinks) “…what the…” (plucks a flower petal from the air as more start to drift down) “…is this…?”

“Sakura, it’s…”

“I know, Tomoyo, I know…” (groans inwardly) “…not now.”
Sonomi didn‘t know what was going on, “What not now?”

“Oh, nothing. Nothing at all. Let’s go throw out the trash and we’ll need some help.”

“I’ll stay here.” Tomoyo offers as Nina, Eliza & Keiko help with the trash (and consult Sakura).

* * * * * *

“Where is it?” Sakura asked impatiently.

“Hold your hamsters, I’m looking.” Nina pans the length of the campus again, “Nothing. It must be on a rooftop but the wind’s kinda weird today so it’s blowing the petals everywhere. Not going to be easy to figure out which rooftop it’s coming from without some data from Weather Control.”

“Can’t access Weather Control.” Eliza tossed in, “They’re swamped with linkers tracking an interesting system forming in the pacific so they can’t process my request at this time.”

“That’s not good, is it?”
Nina sighs as she clips her scanner (open) onto her belt, “You have a way with understatement, Sakura. Without the benefit of Weather Control’s eye in the sky we can’t use it’s tracking system to pinpoint the wind directions to see where the flowers might be originating from. I guess we could climb onto a rooftop and visually do a roof by roof search though.”

“That’d attract too much attention, and they lock down the school buildings for events like this anyway so getting in won‘t be easy.”

“Well then Sakura we just have to wait until my scanner can do the job on it’s own tracking the winds, or we find a better eye in the sky other than Weather Control’s eye. Well, let’s go back, there’s still dessert to be eaten and I want dibs before it’s all gone.”

* * * * * *

As they return they notice a new woman in the scene, Nina motions to her as they approach. “That must be Hikaru’s mom.”

“Hikaru?” Keiko repeats.

Mirra-chan - “Papa! Auntie!”
The scream that follows shocks the heck out of everyone hundreds of feet in all directions, sets off three car alarms, brings dreadful chills down people’s spines and causes the flowers to stop falling for about a full minute.

* * * * * *

Flower sits stunned on the rooftop, she was on panting and looking about shocked. She’ll be happy again--- in a minute--- but right now she has been thrown gracelessly out of her happy place and she didn’t like it one bit. Oh, well. At least the flowers stopped for a minute.

* * * * * *

“YOU?!?”

“Oh god it’s you.” Keiko whispers, feeling faint. Seconds later she’s dragged out of eyesight of everyone and into an impromptu meeting of sorts. And by some bad luck Nina decides to tag along. “I get it now!” Nina remarks looking at the two of them, “She’s the jealous woman who was in love with the girl Keiko was in love with once, and who she married only for her to have died when she was 27 and that girl is seeking unholy vengeance in the memory of the woman she loved with all her heart!!”

Keiko - “Uh--- no. Where the (bleep) did you get that explanation anyway. Is that really the kind of thing one woman should accuse another woman of--- I don’t think so--- no.”

Nina - “Well then who is she?!”

Eliza - “Who does she look like to you?”

Nina - “She?” (looks at woman) “She’s beautiful, looks like a model or a star, and the hair is a dead giveaway. I say Umi from MKRE but what’s the odds in that being true?”

Keiko face blanks out, “Sadly the odds are better than you think---” (frowns) “---and lord knows what compeled me to actually do something nice for the likes of YOU!” (talking to Hikaru‘s mother, face frowning) “I’d get a restraining order but your illiterate so what’s the use, you‘d never be able to understand what it said on it anyway.”

“What are you doing here?” Umi raged, “Me? It’s Field Day. I have as much right to be here as you. What brings you other than the obvious fact your daughter who I saved from an alternate reality is going to the same school as Sakura’s daughter who I didn’t have anything to do with whatsoever.”

“Really.” Nina remarks, “Really.” Keiko counters, “It’s not like I’m everywhere at once. I do get time off for good behavior sometimes.”

Nina - “Oh.”

“Good behavior!” Umi hisses, “Some good behavior. Meddling in things you didn’t understand, throwing everything out of whack, playing god. Some good behavior.”

Keiko pushes into Umi‘s space, and right in her face. “Look, don’t bitch at me because you came out ahead which is more than I can say for some of the others who didn’t fare as well. You got brought here. You wanted true love, and I hooked you with El female Capitan who you had a crush on. You wanted a daughter between you two girls and I brought you little Hikaru. You wanted your friends back and I hooked you up with alternate versions of them here in the Realm of Dreams. It seems you want a lot of out me, but don’t think you owe me the simple courtesy of being grateful for turning over heaven and Earth to make you happy. So don’t stand there and scream at me about how unhappy your life was because I did a lot to make you happy and you owe me at least the simplest gratitude for the effort I put in playing god so don’t get all preachy at me because I’m tired of it. You hear me? Tired!”

“I wanted my friends!” Umi exploded, “They’re great friends but what happened to…”

“One set is happily married to each other, the other is here because they’re DEAD in their reality. And for the life of me I thought I explained that to you before… must be from having stupid stuck between your ears!”

“But this isn’t Earth!” Umi yelled, “It’s not my home! My family’s gone! My friends! My life! This isn’t the---”

“IT CAN’T BE THE SAME!” Keiko screamed, “I told you, it’s not MY fault! Blame your creators if your reaching for a reason why things just can’t be the way they used to be. It’s their fault things just didn’t have that happily ever after twinge you wanted it to either way, and it’s their fault I’m stuck with you, so don’t get on my back about it because I am not to blame here!”

Umi - “I don’t have anyone else to blame! I need someone to take responsibility for this!”

Keiko - “Why me?! I did the dirty work, but I didn’t set the events in motion that lead to what I had to do! I didn’t like it, but I had no choice in the matter! And, if you got off your emotional high horse and looked at my position in all this, you’d see that was the truth as well as I see it!”

Umi - “I don’t want to look! I don’t want to think! It’s your fault my life is incomplete and I’m holding you responsible for it!!” (With that Umi storms off in a huff) “---aw damn---”

“Should I kill her now?” Keiko looks at Nina as if she fell off her rocker, “Oh, yeah, sure. And while your at it why don’t you find a cure for the common cold while your doing it.” (huffs at Nina as she passes her by) “It’s impossible. She might be brass and yakkity-yakkity but she’s also extremely good at her art, and that art is war. I have a hard time fighting her when she’s enraged, you’ll have no better luck against her believe me.”

Nina - “Oh. Just as well because I left my gauntlets at home.”

“Really.” Keiko frowns as she stretches, “Makes me wish I left something at home.”

Nina - “What?”

“Myself.” (Keiko sighs irritably) “Oh, well, might as well get it over with.”

Nina - “She going to duel you to the death?”

Keiko - “Nothing so clean or quick I’m afraid. If I know her and what she‘s thinking of challenging me in”

* * * * * *

“Keiko sure gets around it seems.” Eliza remarks as she waits for the three to return. “I never knew she knew Umi. Maybe Nina can explain when she gets---”

“The Family Race is next. Participants please report to the main gate.”

“Yes! That’s it! I’ll beat her with that! Yes!” Umi passes by, hugging Hikaru as she does and seeming rather jovial as she does this, walking towards the main gate. “Somebody’s in a good now all of a sudden…”

“Wait! Wait! I want in on this race!” (Keiko) “Where is it? Where’s the gate?”

“Mirra’s taking Sonomi to the gate now, if you follow them you can---” (Keiko dashes off after the two before Eliza can utter another word) “---catch up---?” Nina walks up next to Eliza, only to receive a curious stare from her. “Should I ask, or is this one of those things I’d feel better not knowing about?”
Nina explains the situation to her. “But Keiko can’t be held responsible for all that. She did her best, right?”

Nina - “Umi doesn’t see it that way. She’s a tad miffed and Keiko is in her line of sight as a target as far as she’s concerned. She doesn’t want reason, she wants to take it out on someone and Keiko’s the candidate whether Keiko likes it or not.”

Eliza - “Did she say much else past what she said to Umi?”

Nina - “No. You know Keiko, she can be very tight lipped about things when she wants to be.” (sighs) “Doesn’t matter to me in the slightest. It’s their problem so they should thrash it out amongst themselves (as long as they don’t drag the kids into it at least).” (looks up) “This is bad. Flowers’ kicking up the flowers.”

Eliza - “A Clow card is doing this?”

Nina - “Either that or somebody blew up the FTD Florist--- probably an old grudge from mother‘s day.”

“Oh.”

* * * * * *

This year Hikaru & Mirra were given the goal for the Parents’ Race. They didn‘t understand what was happening but they kinda knew something was up.
“Did you know that my mom knew Keiko?”

“Sorry, Hikaru, I don’t even know Keiko very much myself.” Mirra admitted, a confused expression on her face. “Maybe they went to school together when they were our age?”

“Maybe.” (Hikaru turns towards the starting line) “Mother seemed happy when the race was announced. She was kinda reluctant back home but now she’s actually excited about running in the race.”

Mirra - “Maybe she caught a second wind?”

Hikaru - “Maybe.”

* * * * * *

“Do you mind not glaring in my direction?” Keiko growls, pushing Umi back a few paces, “I have two words for you, girl, “Restraining”, “Order”.”

“I’m still going to beat you dammit!”

“Whatever.” Keiko rasped in frustration, her eyes looking up as the flowers began falling from sky once again. “I’d say this was a cliche moment but I’m far too irritated by the situation to even think about laughing at it.”

* * * * * *

Somehow Flower managed to find a vidscreen on the roof and started using it.
“…that’s what christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.”
(musical score)
Flower (wiping tears from her eyes) - “That’s so Flower…” (blows nose in a fistful of flowers)

* * * * * *

Eliza - “Nina, is Keiko fast?”

Nina - “Well, she’s got a fast mouth so maybe…” (blushes) “…oh, wait. I have the fast mouth. She just has a potty mouth. She’s so screwed.” (blinks) “Still what’s with Sonomi racing? It‘d be a sure thing she‘ll win.”

Eliza - “But that won‘t solve the dispute between Keiko & Umi if Sonomi wins.”

Nina - “And that’s a bad thing because---”

* * * * * *

As the race starts Umi takes the lead--- which lasts for about a few seconds as Keiko takes over. This doesn’t last long as Sonomi passes them, who leaves the other two behind her to catch up. ‘Man what was I thinking?!?’ Keiko yells in her mind, ‘I’m going to humiliate myself out here and still die a vicious death from fatigue, or drowning in flowers, or whatever comes first!’ (sighs inwardly) ‘Next time I want to prove my womanhood, I’ll challenge someone to a game of Trivial Pursuit or an orgy or whatever that requires the least energy to undertake!!’

* * * * * *

As the flowers increase Sakura looks about the roofs. “We can’t wait much longer. Let’s take to the sky and spot Flower so we can---”

“AGH!” Nina suddenly yelps.

Sakura - “What?!”

Nina - “Misho put up a huge holo-banner on each rooftop to advertise her businesses! From ground level you can’t see anything but eye-level to the roof or above the rooftops you see only the banners! It’ll be impossible to see Flower from the sky because all the rooftops are covered in virtual banners!!”

Sakura - “WHAT?!? But that means…”

“It’s going to be a lot harder to capture Flower this time.” Nina finishes for Sakura.
“Aw man---”

The field was becoming hip deep in flowers, the race was still on (just like the first time Flower appeared years ago), and people were beginning to panic. Only this time without an ability to have a clear bird’s eye view of Flower even from an advantage point above the field, and the wind making it hard to locate which rooftop Flower was on (scattering the flowers in a strange pattern about the schoolyard skies) it wasn’t going to be easy to nab Flower. Not easy at all.

* * * * * *

“I don’t remember this before…” (Flower blinks) “…this is a new Peanuts Christmas cartoon isn’t it?” (sighs) “The things I missed while I was sealed away between releases.”

* * * * * *

Nina wasn’t in a good mood.
“HOW ARE WE GOING TO FIND THAT CARD IF WE CAN’T SEE THROUGH THE HOLO-BILLBOARDS!! I---” (stops and thinks as she looks around) “Everyone’s panicking, things are getting worst. We have to do something now!”

“But what? With those boards up we can’t see the rooftops!” Eliza points out.

“I got it.” (motions to Sakura) “You take Tomoyo and grab some sky. Here---” (pins her commlink pin to Sakura‘s top, set open) “It’s an open link. Just talk into it when your up there and I’ll do the rest to guide you along.”

“But the billboards!” Sakura protested, only to get pushed once by Nina. “You leave that to me, just grab some sky with Tomoyo and capture that card!”

Tomoyo - “But Sakura can’t use her magic in view of everyone.”

Nina looks about, waving her arms in the midst of the storm of flowers, “Who’s looking, Tomoyo? Nobody!”
Sure enough everyone was too panicked to notice anything.
Tomoyo - “Oh. Right. That happened before too.”

“Then get going. I’ll be down here monitoring…” (Nina turns and walks off in one direction) “And improvising something McGyver style.”

“Then let’s go.” Sakura holds out the key, her other arm wrapping around Tomoyo drawing her close, the urge to kiss her clawing into her mind as she held out the key.
“Key of the Star, with powers burning bright, release the staff and shine your light---
RELEASE!!” As the key grows into the staff, Sakura takes out the Fly card and triggers it, unfurling two huge wings from the bird head end of the staff. “Let’s go, Tomoyo!”

* * * * * *

Nina, wading her way through waist deep flowers, moves towards one of the booths. “Everyone get to higher ground! Come on! Move it!”
Nina stops to pull someone out of the flowers and send them on their way to higher ground. A few seconds later she reaches the booth and climbs on top of the now cleared booth counter, looking over into the pile of flowers within the booth. “He said he kept it under the counter, so…” Nina shoves her arms into the flowers, then her head, shoulders, and half her body until her hands finally latch onto the case beneath the counter.
Wresting it up from it’s hiding place she lies it on top of the flowers, propping it open and pulling out the parts of the sniper rifle within. “Good thing there was a marksmanship exhibition event planned for later today… Sakura?”

* * * * * *

“We’re here. Your right…” (Sakura responded, looking down at the huge floating holoboards advertising everything from soap, to soda, to movies, to toys). “I can’t see anything under the huge boards. Wait…”

Nina - “You see Flower?”

Sakura - “No. I see a movie I want to see though. Have to remember to see it.”

Nina - “SAKURA!!”

* * * * * *

Nina finishes assembling the rifle and hefts it up, “45 seconds, new record for me.”

Sakura - “What was that? What record? I don’t hear music---”

Nina - “Never mind, Snoozer. Just tell me which of the boards is glowing the brightest.”

Seconds pass and nothing, then--- “I see it. It’s the main school building. Can you---”

“I see it, I see it.” Nina swings the rifle over and aims up. “Don’t go near yet, I need to have a clear shot of the roof side.”

“Clear shot?” (Tomoyo)

“Holo billboards use holopods to project the images on all the roofs, but the programming comes from one point. A direct feed antenna linked to an orbiting satellite which in turn is feeding it up-to-date ads, news reports, weather and so forth. Snap that feed and the whole
system goes down…” (smiles) “…and there it is. Hold on and get ready to spot Flower because the lights are going off for corporate excess.”

With one shot Nina snaps the feed in two, breaking the link and shutting the system down. Seconds later the holoboards fall silent and the rooftops lie exposed.

Sakura - “There’s Flower!”

“Alright then, it’s up to you two. Let me know how it turns out.” Nina finishes, putting the rifle onto the flowers with a sigh. “That was a nice shot if I do say so my…” (her phone rings) “Speak to me.”

“Remember that thing you called for this morning? I have the results for you.”

Nina - “And?”

“Your not going to like it.”

* * * * * *

Sakura & Tomoyo land behind Flower, but she is oblivious to everything (dancing away).

Her dress flutters in the breeze, her hair shimmers as it’s blown slightly in the wind, her face is happy as she dances without a care in the world. Sakura quickly rushes up, “FLOWER! STOP---”

Flower is shocked for a second, but immediately smiles. And, just like old times, Flower scoops up her favorite dance partner in the whole world and begins to dance. Only this time, Tomoyo has her camera at the ready (filming since the Parent Race started) and wasn’t going to miss this dance for nothing.

“It’s beautiful!” Tomoyo said speaking out loud, not realizing Sakura passed the link to her when they landed.

“What? What’s beautiful! Tomoyo? What‘s going on up there?” (Nina) “Is Sakura making out with Flower?”

Tomoyo - “It’s Sakura! She’s dancing with Flower--- again.”

Nina - “Oh…“ (silence) “Again? She did that before you mean?”

Tomoyo - “Yup. This time I’m getting it on video.”

Nina - “Great. I’d never believe it if I didn’t see it… uh… Tomoyo?”

Tomoyo - “Yes?”

Nina - “Will this take long? Not to be a pesk or anything.”

Tomoyo - “Just a few minutes, then I’ll remind Sakura to capture Flower.”

Nina - “Really.”

* * * * * *

(Tomoyo) “Really. I’ll let you know when the card’s sealed.”

“Great.” Nina looks about as the booth is now covered in flowers, and her legs which were lying on top of a mass of flowers were now buried and she was slowly in danger of being buried herself. “You think we‘ll survive long enough for Tomoyo to get her precious Sakura dancing footage? Huh? Tomo? You still on? No, no, I didn‘t say anything. Uh-huh. That’s good to know. Please hurry. Thank you.” (looks down) “This area of the field is getting more flowers than other parts so… eh… I think I only have another ten or so minutes at this rate but do take your time. I’ll be here all day. Sadly.”

Nina leans back against the machine next to her as she waits for the inevitable end.
“Do you think she‘ll remember to give us honorary mention at the end of this DVD episode after we drown in flowers?” Nina stops and thinks, then swivels herself around, “I think this is the cotton candy machine. Is there---?” (looks inside) “SCORE!! There’s still cotton
candy in here!!” (quickly unplugging the machine Nina grabs two large handfuls and starts eating straight out of the machine without a care in the world)

Eliza - “Is that sanitary?”

Nina - “We’re minutes away from drowning in a scene kinda hinting of influence from American Beauty (and none of us is going to die naked looking enticing and arousing while we drown), so we might as well treat ourselves while we’re still alive.“

Eliza - “Since we’re techincally Fictionals we’ll never die of anything, let alone drowning.“

Nina - “Stop being so rational.“ (glomp glomp glomp) “Nobody’d mind since if I eat the machine clean. It’s a public health service anyway, with the plug pulled like that and
everything--- mmm--- it‘s only for the public good I remove the slowly spoiling food.”

Eliza - “Cotton candy doesn’t spoil that fast, and you unplugged the machine.”

Nina - “Details, details.”

Eliza - “…” (holds hand out) “…pass me some.”

* * * * * *

Six minutes (and two dances) later.

Tomoyo (over the cellphone) “We got it! Nina! We got Flower!”

Nina didn’t sound so happy, “You sure Tomoyo? You got it? I‘m feeling a little stuffed… all this cotton candy and all…” (burps) “…was it fun?”

Tomoyo - “Yes we’re sure, and yes it was. And what did you---”

Nina - “Never mind. Never mind. That’s great---” (sighs) “---now I can cancel my funeral arrangements (if all this cotton candy doesn’t kill me first).”

Eliza - “We’re Fictionals so we can’t di--” (Nina shoves cotton candy in her mouth)

Nina - “Oh, did a little background check on this “event” before we left the house this morning. It took awhile but the results came in a few minutes ago. It seems that just after the first flowers fell Misho put a call through to a contact she had at the Edenina Patenting Office to push through a set of products marketed after “Flower”. And, get this, it’s all products which can be made FROM flowers. Jams, perfumes, pillows, candles, potpourri, etc. Anything related to the stuff Flower makes with her powers Misho had patented. And I just heard a loudspeaker announcement that Misho’s buying bags of the Flowers for 5000 credit’s a pop.”

“That’s a lot.” Sakura notes.

Nina - “Not if you think of all the products she can package and sell on one bag. 5000 credits a bag is nothing compared to the gross yield she’ll pocket from the sales of Flower related products. She’ll clean house, so to speak.”

Sakura huffs her breath and frowns, steam seemingly coming out of her ears, “SO SHE RIGGED THIS WHOLE EVENT JUST TO PROFIT FROM FLOWER’S POWERS?!?”

Nina - “Flower’s Powers. That’s cute, Sakura, really. Oh, and that’s about the size of it. Yeah.”

Sakura - “GRRR!!! THAT’S NOT FAIR!!”

“Hey your telling me.” Nina gingerly steps down into the flowers, bag in hand. “I’m going to start bagging and selling to Misho. Want me to rack any bags aside for you and Tomoyo for pocket change?”

Sakura - “NINA!!! YOU CAN’T DO THAT!! THAT’S WRONG!! IT’S TAKING AD--”

“AGHH!!” (Tomoyo)

Nina - “What? What’s wrong?! Is Sakura hurt?!? What!!”

Tomoyo - “I forgot to tape mother winning the race!” (Sakura faints) “Oh and she raced so well…”

(link goes off)

“Whoops.” (Nina pockets her spare link and sighs) “Turned it off by accident. Silly me. Now where was I…” (looks about herself) “So many flowers to bag, so little time. Might as well work my way to the bathrooms just in case I have to go. Kill two birds with one stone and all that, as it were. Might have to after eating all that cotton candy, and then the soda…”

* * * * * *

True to Tomoyo’s prediction, Sonomi won the race… if anyone was checking.

Once across the “finish line” (reduced to a ribbon with (once again) Toya & Yuki holding the ribbon (for old time’s sake) since the actual track and finish line itself was buried under a ton of flowers) she quickly grabbed the flag and started waving it. “If only wish Fujitaka
was here to see this! Then I’d shove this flag right up his…”

“AHEM!” (Toya)

“Sorry.” (Sonomi’s breath stops for a second) “…what’s that…” (turns around) “---eeeww---” (blinks) “Was I that… I mean that…”

Toya - “Just about. Only those two seem angrier. Wonder why.”

“Can‘t possibly imagine why.” Sonomi face faults, staring in horror at the two before her. “God was I that bad?” (passes flag to Toya) “He won.”

Toya - “Gee, thanks.”

* * * * * *

Two hours later.
The field was finally beginning to look like a field again.
Everything was cleared, with only another hour’s worth of cleaning to do--- maybe two.

Toya, as always, had a complaint to file. “Second time we ended up cleaning this field. Why don’t they cancel these events altogether if this is going to keep happening.”

“It’s not the event’s fault.” Sakura gripes, holding up a handful of the flowers, “Why did he make that card? It’s such a pain in the…”

“You said something?” (Yuki)

“Me? Nothing. Nothing at all. I didn’t say anything---” (blushes) “Say! Where’s Hikaru? And her mom? And Keiko…”

“What about Nina?” (Eliza)

Sakura - “What about her?”

Eliza - “Nina went off to bag more flowers, but she showed Keiko/Umi to the back of one of the buildings before that so they can talk out their differences. As for Hikaru & Mirra-chan? I saw them about helping with the cleaning but I can’t say where they are now, they’re somewhere around here I guess.”

Sakura - “Which building did Keiko/Umi went behind?”

Eliza - “They went behind that building and---” Sakura quickly grabs Tomoyo and runs off in the direction of where Eliza was pointing. “---your welcome.”

Toya - “Well that’s a sure fire way to get out of cleaning.”

Eliza - “Isn’t this a 5000 credit a bag job?”

Toya - “Yeah, so?”

Eliza - “Then less complaining and more cleaning please, you‘re being paid for your services after all so less bitching from you.”

* * * * * *

As much as listening to Keiko & Umi trash out their differences might interest Sakura & Tomoyo, what’s happening between Mirra & Hikaru is more interesting.

Mirra & Hikaru were sitting under a tree in a secluded spot, catching their breaths.

“That was a lot of work!” Mirra gasped, turning over to look at Hikaru by her side, “I know, Mirra-chan, but… it was worth it… for a little extra allowance this week.”

Mirra - “A lot extra! 20000 credits apiece for each of us! Personally I think I’ll put some in my savings and use the rest to go shopping this weekend. Wanna come?”

Hikaru - “Sure, I like that plan, sounds like fun--- Mirra-chan?”

“Yes?” (turns to look at Hikaru) “What’s wrong? Your blushing.”

Hikaru paused for a few seconds, uncertain what to say, but say it she did. “How long have we known each other?”

“Since last year…” (Mirra shudders, ‘Since I was “born” last year.’ Mirra thought to herself, her thoughts sad as she stared in Hikaru’s eyes. ’While Tomoyo-mama & Sakura-papa were still dating--- their love still growing. Why can‘t I tell Hikaru the truth?’)

Hikaru smiled a little, while still blushing. “I remember the first day you came to school. How fast we became friends. Our first trip to the mall, our first sleepover, the first time we swapped box lunches. Everything. It’s only been a year but… I… I mean I…” (grows
silent again)

Mirra - “Go on. You can tell me. What’s wrong?”

Hikaru - “N-nothing’s wrong! I just… I… I just wanted to… well I wanted…” (lowers head as she struggles with her words) “…to tell you how much I care about you.”

Mirra smiles, “I know. I care a lot about you too, silly!”
Hikaru, however, wasn‘t stopping, head snaps up as she struggles to get all the words out at once, “No! No I don’t think you know just how… how much I… I…”

Mirra suddenly leans over and kisses Hikaru softly, holding their kiss for a few moments before pulling Hikaru close and embracing her close. “I know, Hikaru-chan, I know…” she whispers, closing her eyes tight as she takes the leap. “I love you, Hikaru-chan. I never thought you could love me but… I mean… you do…”

“I do.“ she agrees. “Now you know.”

Both girls lean into each other, Hikaru resting her head on Mirra’s small but strong shoulders. “Thank you.”

Mirra - “One day I hope we can be a couple like Tomoyo-mama & Sakura-papa.”

Hikaru - “Or like my loving parents. I hope we have that kind of special love when we’re older, one day married and planning our futures together one day at a time.”

“I love you now.” Mirra-chan notes, “The rest will come when we’re older. But for now I want to enjoy our special love the way it is, and let it grow slowly. As you said it’ll be one day at a time. Blossoming every day.”

Hikaru giggles abit at Mirra‘s words, “Your so eloquent. It’s like your older than you look Mirra-chan.”

Mirra - “You don’t know the half of it.” (Before Hikaru can question her further Mirra kisses her again, kissing away the questions before they come to voice). “N-nothing. Nothing. Let’s just enjoy the moment. And our love.”

The two spend the rest of the afternoon watching the clouds roll lazily by, while talking about their day and what they wanted to do that weekend. Their future was ahead of them, and they were in no hurry to get there. No hurry to take the next steps, or to love in the
ways older women loved.

They were fine the way they were. No rush. They’ll get there soon enough, why rush things?

They would one day grow into stronger and more mature lovers, find new ways of expressing their love, and eventually consummate.

But not today. And not for awhile to come. For now they were simply in love.

That was enough for them. Just as it was enough for Sakura and Tomoyo as they took their leave as silently as they came in.

* * * * * *

“---and that’s the report. It’s not much I’m afraid.”

“It’s enough.” she remarked.
From her vantage point on the rooftop of one of the buildings overlooking the field she watched, holding the Seeker out ahead of her as the images flow and ebb in her mind’s eye. The power reading was unmistakable. The one that was being spoken of in the ranks of
Alliance Command, the Guardian units and even the Judgments was below her, on the field.

“The one is here. I feel her--- and the cards.”

“Are you sure this is what you want?” the voice from her commlink warned, “Orders are---”

“Damn the orders.” she rebuked, “I’m going to take the cards, and save the Realm myself.” (a thin smile etches itself across her face as she speaks) “After all, am I not the 5th Judgment?”

* * * * * *

Meanwhile---

Umi - “Best five out of seven!”

Keiko - “For god’s sake, Umi, I beat you at everything already! Give it up!!”

Umi - “Not yet! Let’s run again!”

Keiko - “Sure. No problem--- if only you didn’t challenge me to strip poker and I happen to have all your clothes in front of me here.”

Umi, not put off by the fact she was stark naked, was not going to give in. “Let’s run anyway!”

Keiko - “Oh, no! It’s Family Day out there! Have some decency dammit! Give it a rest!!”

Umi - “NO! NO! I WANT TO BEAT YOU!!”

Keiko - “I don’t see how you can possibly--”

Umi - “Let’s see who’ll be the first to have---”

Keiko - “NO!! N-O!! I’m NOT DOING THAT!!” (stands up in a huff) “I GIVE UP!! YOU WIN
ALREADY, ALRIGHT? I LOST, YOU WON! YOUR TOO MUCH FOR ME!! I GIVE UP!!
THERE, HAPPY??”

Umi sits, naked, watching Keiko storm off into the woods in a huff.

Umi - “Does this mean I get to have my clothes back?”

Keiko - “BY ALL MEANS!!” (Keiko’s voice is fading as she storms away)

Umi - “Hah! I always knew I’d win in the end!” (grabs her clothes and smirks) “SEE? I BEAT YOU!!”

Keiko - “Whatever.”

Umi - “YEAH!! I WON!! I WON!! I--- hey! My panties are gone! I can’t wear this without panties, the first wind will blow up my skirt and I’d flash every--- KEIKO!!!”

Somewhere in the parking lot there’s a Judgment smiling like a cat who ate the canary and swinging a pair of blue panties in one hand while whistling “Ode to Joy”.

Don’t ask her why she‘s doing that though--- she might tell you.

To Be Continued

No comments: